So for the last few days of the week we kept the chickens in their coop, not that they were very interested in coming out anyway. I also built a run for the chickens to go in. I used 8-2x2 pressure treated boards 8' long. I cut 2 of the boards into 3' corner posts and then I cut another 2 boards into 4' equal halves for the end walls. It made a run 8' long and 4' wide. I found some green flexible garden fencing 40" high, 25' long. So this was actually a mistake. The 4' wide top side could not be covered with the 40" high fence. It ended up being 4" short when the side was turned over on the top. I have covered the gap in the top of the run with left over fencing I had lying around. I butted up the run to the coop and it is lightweight enough to move daily as I open/close the coop door. The run is only hawk protection. A raccoon would definitely tear through the netting and get the chickens if I left the coop door open at night.
I hope this will end the hawk problem we have during the winter. I wish I had thought of building a run sooner. I should have built it last week after the Chipette event happened. It is very sad as a family especially when it is your wife and kids who find the animal.
The picture above is the run with the chicken in the foreground. I let them out around dusk when I got home so they could enjoy the grass and bugs they could find around their yard. So far so good.