We didn't have a cage for him so for the first week he lived in a big tub we brood chicks in that we kept in the house. Very quickly he learned to jump out of the tub and wandered around the house. I began building a cage with leftover wood I had. I basically made a box with a sloped roof and I planned on adding legs later on. Inside the cage I made an interior space for Thumper to go with wood flooring. The run portion of the cage with rabbit wire. I slacked getting the door and roof on. One day I came home and Thumper was resting on the headrest of a chair when I came home from work. The rabbit cage quickly became a priority. I quickly used the different types of spare wood I had around. I used 2x4s for the basic 4'x2' frame. I had some leftover 1x4s that I used to make a solid floor portion for a bed. I enclosed this with cedar pickets that I beveled so they overlapped. The corners where these meet are rough looking, but it was my first time. I enclosed the rest of the area with hardware cloth sized for rabbits. Then I put on the top pieces of wood and a plastic roof. Then I tried to put the legs on. The cage was way too heavy and just attaching the legs was unstable. I decided to just add pressure treated 2x4s to the bottom to get the cage off the ground.
The cage works and is portable. I have been moving it around my garden to help add organic matter from the droppings. If I had to do it again I would have built the cage with solid 2x4s from the legs up to the roof. It would leave the cage stationary, but I would still be able to move the manure to the locations I wanted or I could capture them and perhaps grow worms below. Thumper has gotten pretty fat now and perhaps he isn't a miniature. I have been feeding him the fall green bean plants since I picked the last crop. He loves them even more than carrots.